U.S. President Joe Biden speaks at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Washington, D.C., Aug. 31, 2023.
Saul Loeb | AFP | Getty Images
WASHINGTON — The White House is requesting an additional $4 billion from Congress to bolster funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is down to its last $3.4 billion after a string of major disasters.
Friday’s request is in addition to a $12 billion ask last month for FEMA’s disaster relief fund, part of an overall $40 billion stopgap funding ask. It also comes a day after the White House asked Congress to pass a continuing resolution to fund the government as budget negotiations continue.
The White House said the additional funds are needed in the wake of fires in Hawaii and Louisiana, flooding in Florida due to Hurricane Idalia, plus flooding in Vermont in July.
FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell said this…